Home warranties are service contracts that cover the repair or replacement of major home systems and appliances that break down due to normal wear and tear. They can save homeowners from unexpected and costly expenses, as well as provide peace of mind and convenience. However, not all home warranty companies are created equal, and choosing the right one can be challenging. In this article, we will review one of the home warranty providers in the market: Choice Home Warranty.
What is Choice Home Warranty?
Choice Home Warranty is a company that offers home warranty plans across 49 states (except Washington) and has been in business since 2008. It claims to have handled more than 6 million service requests and covered more than 1.9 million homes across the USA. Choice Home Warranty has two main plans: Basic Plan and Total Plan, as well as a list of optional coverages that customers can add to their plans. The company also offers discounts for paying annually instead of monthly, and allows customers to transfer their contracts to a new home if they sell their property.
Read more about Choice Home Warranty Claims: A Comprehensive Guide
What are the benefits of Choice Home Warranty?
Choice Home Warranty has several benefits that make it stand out from other home warranty companies. Some of these benefits are:
- It covers a wide range of home systems and appliances, including some items that are not commonly covered by other companies, such as whirlpool bathtubs, ductwork, garage door openers, and ceiling and exhaust fans.
- It has a low service fee of $85 per claim, which is below the industry average of $100.
- It has a fast response time of 24 to 48 hours for sending a technician to the customer’s home.
- It has a 24/7 customer service line that customers can call or submit claims online anytime.
- It has positive customer reviews on Trustpilot, where it has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars based on 13,331 reviews. Customers praise the company for its professionalism, efficiency, quality, and affordability.
What are the drawbacks of Choice Home Warranty?
Choice Home Warranty also has some drawbacks that customers should be aware of before signing up for a plan. Some of these drawbacks are:
- It does not provide a sample contract online, which makes it difficult for customers to review the terms and conditions of their plans before purchasing them.
- It has some exclusions and limitations on its coverage, such as pre-existing conditions, improper installation or maintenance, cosmetic defects, code violations, and acts of God.
- It has some negative customer reviews on Trustpilot, where some customers complain about the company’s denial of claims, poor communication, long wait times, and rude representatives.
- It has been sued by several state attorneys general for allegedly engaging in deceptive and unfair trade practices. The company has denied any wrongdoing and settled some of the cases without admitting liability.
How does Choice Home Warranty compare to other home warranty companies?
Choice Home Warranty is one of the many home warranty companies in the market, and it has its own strengths and weaknesses compared to its competitors. Here is a brief comparison of Choice Home Warranty with some other popular home warranty companies:
|Company||Monthly Cost||Service Fee||Number of Plans||Number of Optional Coverages|
|Choice Home Warranty||$36.17 – $43.85||$85||2||8|
|American Home Shield||$49.99 – $59.99||$75 – $125||4||11|
|First Premier Home Warranty||$39.99 – $47.99||$75||2||20|
|Select Home Warranty||$35.83 – $37.50||$75||3||7|
As you can see from the table, Choice Home Warranty has a lower monthly cost than most of its competitors, but it also has fewer plans and optional coverages to choose from. However, it compensates for this by offering more items in its basic plan than any other company.
Choice Home Warranty is a home warranty company that offers two plans and several add-on coverages for customers who want to protect their home systems and appliances from breakdowns. The company has several benefits, such as low prices, fast response times, and positive customer reviews. However, it also has some drawbacks, such as lack of transparency, exclusions and limitations, and negative customer reviews. Therefore, customers should weigh the pros and cons of Choice Home Warranty before deciding whether it is the right choice for them.